The Department of Internal Medicine offers services and/or academic programs in many New Mexico facilities. Among them:
UNMH recently has been cited as one of the top performing hospitals in the United States and ranked among the top ten academic medical centers in the nation for primary care.
- 618 bed tertiary care facility
- Principal provider of primary care for most of its patients
- Most inpatients are admitted from the emergency room, urgent care clinic, or other clinics
- Broad referral area including eastern Arizona, southern Colorado, and west Texas
- Diverse patient population
- 24-hour translator services
- Emergency Room treats approximately 80,000 patients a year
- Urgent care clinic sees approximately 20,000 patients a year
- UNMH is the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the state
- Named in the nation's 100 Most Wired hospitals
- 404-bed facility
- Only VA hospital in New Mexico
- Serves as a referral institution for VA hospitals and clinics through parts of Texas, Colorado, and Arizona
- Broad geographic patient base with approximately 50% from outside Bernalillo County
- Majority of the patients are males representing the New Mexican Anglo, Hispanic, and Native American tri-cultural backgrounds.
- Cardiology services provide invasive cardiology services for a broad referral area
UNM Sandoval Regional Medical Center (SRMC) is located in the Rio Rancho City Center near the Rio Rancho City Hall and UNM West. The 200,000 square foot acute care facility is home to a total of 72 inpatient beds comprised of two 24-bed medical/surgical units, 12 intensive care beds and 12 senior behavioral health beds. The facility also includes 13 emergency medicine beds, two of which are equipped for behavioral health crisis intervention. The facility is served by hospital-based, UNM Faculty Physicians in the areas of Radiology, Pathology, Emergency Medicine, Anesthesiology, Psychiatry and Hospitalists.
As part of the Center for Global Health, we offer a
Global Health Residency Track to provide opportunities
for residents in Internal Medicine to foster their interest in
global health. The residency track includes curricular offerings
in global health, the opportunity to engage in a Global Health
Certificate Program, and the ability to engage in formalized
clinical and/or research rotations at one our UNM partner sites
in Chile, India, and Kenya.Read more.
- Located 55 miles north of Albuquerque in the scenic capital of New Mexico, Santa Fe
- The hospital has 260+ beds with over 250 staff physicians representing 22 medical specialties.
- Most popular electives include heme/onc, women's health, and alternative medicine.
- Housing in Santa Fe is provided free of charge.
- The SJRMC is located in Farmington, NM in the NW corner of the state in the Four Corners area approximately 3 hours from Albuquerque.
- It offers the opportunity to practice primary and subspecialty medicine in a rural, small town setting.
- The hospital recently underwent an expansion to 230 beds
- Electives available include cardiology, heme/onc, renal, hospitalist, endocrinology, and others.
- Housing is provided if you choose to do a rotation here.